Simpleware for Orthopaedics
3D Medical Image Processing Solutions
Simpleware software is ideal for processing medical image data for orthopaedic and musculoskeletal research. Reconstruct MRI, CT, and micro-CT data and DICOM files using powerful image processing tools. Visualise and segment musculoskeletal anatomies, and integrate CAD-designed medical devices with patient-specific anatomies to obtain robust measurements and models for simulation.
Multi-part Finite Element (FE) meshes can be generated for implant validation and contact mechanics analyses, while material properties can be assigned from Hounsfield units or by using a range of metrics. Accurate anatomical models can also be generated as STL files for 3D printing processes.
Visualise and Process Medical Images
Simpleware software includes a wide range of tools for working with 3D medical data. Volume render 2D image stacks in 3D directly after import, and explore data using colour and opacity maps. Semi-automated segmentation tools can be used to obtain bone and soft tissue regions.
- Explore micro-CT scans of trabecular bone
- Segment data based on greyscale intensity
- Use medical orientation overlays
- Remove unwanted scan artefacts
- Generate animations
Measure and Analyse your Data
The intuitive measurement tools and statistics included with Simpleware software allow medical data to be easily quantified.
- Measure bone geometries and place landmarks
- Generate centrelines
- Compute statistics (bone density and Young’s modulus...)
- Assign greyscale material properties for bone from Hounsfield units
Integrate CAD and Image Data
Simpleware software can be used to position CAD-designed objects such as medical devices within image data.
- Convert CAD models to image data and avoid working with image data in CAD packages
- Export multi-part FE/CFD models for simulation
- Add internal microstructure (lattices) to explore new implant designs
- Export models as STL files for 3D printing
Export Simulation-Ready FE/CFD Meshes
Simpleware software utilises industry-leading meshing algorithms to convert segmented data into robust multi-part volume meshes featuring conforming interfaces and shared nodes. Use meshes in all leading FE/CFD solvers to better understand device-anatomy interactions.
- Define FE contacts, nodes sets, shells...
- Define CFD boundary conditions
- Remove need for remeshing in FE/CFD solver
Use Scripting to Automate Workflows
The software's functionality can be accessed using an integrated scripting interface, and through languages such as Python, Iron Python, C#, Java, Visual Basic and Boo. Macro recording and a log history converter can also be used to automate steps, while user-created plug-ins can be incorporated within the software to improve efficiency when processing image data.
Improving Patient Outcomes with Simulation
Gait analysis-driven approach
Automated pre-clinical tool
Variability and accuracy
For knee replacement implants
Knee implant analysis
Analysis with AnyBody
Simulating surgical procedures